The ancient art of healing
What is Reflexology?
Originally known as Zone Therapy, Reflexology is an ancient healing art which is based on the theory that every gland, organ and structure in the body is reflected in the hands and on the feet.
Vital energy (Qi) circulates between the organs of the body, and to every living cell and tissue through ten zones running up and down the body. When blockages of energy occur along these zones this causes disorders and disease. Reflexologists aim to release these blockages by using specific pressure techniques helping the body to regain a balanced state.
Reflexology takes into consideration the physical, intellectual, emotional and spiritual wellbeing of the client and not just the physical symptoms.
Benefits of Reflexology:
- Stress reduction
- Helps maintain general health and stimulates the immune system
- Reduces stress and tension while relaxing the whole person
- Decrease in congestion in energy pathways allowing energy to circulate freely
- Encourages homeostasis i.e. state of balance in the body
- Very beneficial for regulation of body functions such as, digestive, endocrine, respiratory and excretory systems
- Increases energy levels, mental alertness and instils a feeling of well-being and contentment
- Aids recovery from physical conditions or injuries
- Apart from treating disease reflexology is an extremely effective therapy in cases of stress, tension and tiredness and can be used as a preventative measure against ill-health.
Some of the conditions reflexology can assist in treating include:
Reflexology does not claim to diagnose or cure any medical condition. It can however stimulate the body’s own innate healing system, which may bring relief from symptoms of many conditions